What You Need To Built a Simple Home Studio. Today, ghcountdown.net presents to you the basic essentials you have to get before you can establish your own and simple Music Studio.
In this article, there will be a vivid explanation of how Quality of the essentials you have purchased.
Building A Simple Home Music Studio In Ghana
Building a simple home Music recording studio In Ghana is a HUGE project…isn’t it?
It takes months, Days, and even years of planning, research, and preparation…doesn’t it?
Well, most people think so, but the truth is…
Getting started is far easier than you might imagine.
The truth of the matter is, you just need just a basic essential of which am here to assist you to get the best quality out of it.
Today’s post will enlighten you with the Step by Step needs as I walk you through from scratch.
How cheap is too cheap?
As mentioned earlier in the above, since home Studio is a little bit expensive…
Musicians will choose the cheapest and affordable recording studios to record their music
Technically it is possible to build a working studio for as low as GHS2000-GHS5000
There are low limits to what can be accomplished in such a studio…and I really wouldn’t recommend it to anyone truly serious about recording their music.
The Perfect Studio Setup For Beginners
The following are nine examples of essentials, and what you need is just a simple working Studio that Musicians like.
The setup must be a perfect one of course for everyone with the home recording studio.
- A Personal Computer
- DAW/Audio Interface Combo
- Studio Monitor
- Microphones (one or two)
- Few Cables
- One Mic Stand
- A Pop Filter
- Ear Training Software
After getting all these newbies, let’s talk about them one after the other with; Type, Quality, what to look for, and how to use it.
1. A Personal Computer
To get into computer music production and recording, the first thing you’ll need is not surprisingly, a Personal computer. Even cheap desktop and laptop computers should be able to handle a recording project from recording through to mix and mastering. However, three things will determine the maximum workload capacity of your system.
1. A CPU with a higher core count deals better with more processes running simultaneously. If you want to record with large track counts and many plugins, try and aim for at least a decent quad-core CPU.
2. RAM is the most limiting factor on the number of tracks and plugins you can run at one time. 64-bit software allows you to make the most of your RAM. At the time of writing, 8 GB of RAM is the minimum you will need for a decent recording system, 16 GB or more is better.
3. The more hard drive capacity you have, the longer you can record for. If you can, try to record to an internal hard drive. This is because external drives have slower read and write speeds. Using them while recording can lead to crashes. You can always move the project to an external drive later on when you need more space on your internal drives. Always back up your projects to external drives. There is nothing worse than losing all of your work because of a faulty drive.
You may be asking whether to get a Mac or PC. Go with the platform you are most comfortable with as it doesn’t make a lot of difference. As long as you take good care of your computer and make sure to run regular virus scans (yes, Macs can get viruses too), you’ll be fine.
DAW/ Audio Interface Combo
A digital audio workstation (DAW) is an electronic device or application software used for recording, editing, and producing audio files. DAWs come in a wide variety of configurations from a single software program on a laptop, to an integrated stand-alone unit, all the way to a highly complex configuration of numerous components controlled by a central computer.
It doesn’t really matter which one you choose, but you’ll need to purchase a DAW (short for Digital Audio Work Station). This “app” is what allows you to record, use virtual instruments (VIs), and mix.
It used to be very expensive to get a Pro Tools rig running in a home studio, but now for around ghs100 a year, you can have the exact software that the pros use.
Perhaps, for around $200, you can buy Apple’s Logic, which is the best choice for most songwriters, producers, and musicians both professional and beginners who are just getting into the game of producing, recording, and mixing. If you’ve used Garage Band, Logic is a nice segue into the world of pro audio because it has a similar layout and looks.
Ableton Live—which is a bit more expensive if you buy the complete version—is another great option and is the choice for the larger percentage of producers in the EDM, hip hop, and electronic genres because of its excellent MIDI, VST, and song creation workflow.
You can explore other options like Cubase, Reaper, Fruity Loops, etc. – just remember that there is no difference in audio quality between DAWs, and no DAW “sounds” better than any other.
What Is Studio Monitor?
A studio monitor is a loudspeaker in speaker enclosures and specifically designed for professional audio production and recording applications, such as recording studios, filmmaking, television studios, radio studios, and project or home studios, where accurate audio reproduction is crucial.
How To Choose The Right Studio Monitor?
A good studio monitor will provide a little distortion, a wide frequency response, Even a small cabinet can produce a high volume level, Natural Sound coloration, and exceptional stereo imaging.
Genelec is the most accepted type of studio monitor from High-end manufactures.
Do You Need To Have 1 or 2 Speakers (Monitors)?
Most studio monitors are sold individually. Some studio monitors come in types and insets. for the aspect of music production, you will need a good stereo sound, which means 2 speakers. So it advisable to buy 2 identical studio monitors or a set containing 2 monitor speakers.
What Is A Microphone?
A microphone is a device that is capable of converting sound into an electronic signal. Microphones are the masterpiece in the making of a Studio in the house, radio and television broadcasting, and many more.
Best Microphones For Recording in Your Home Studio
- SE Electronics sE2200a II C Large Diaphragm Cardioid Condenser Microphone.
- Audio-Technica AT875R Line + Gradient Condenser Microphone
- Blue Yeti USB Microphone
- Blue Snowball – USB
- Zoom H4N Multitrack Recorder.
Cables are connected wires which will connect the gadgets in the studio on an Extention. When creating a home studio, you don’t really need many cables, but a few but not tiny wires.
Cabling your home studio is one of the most important considerations you have to worry about when building your studio.
The standard inputs are 6.35mm(1 quarter – inch) jack.
One Mic Stand
What Is A Mic Stand?
The mic stand is a free-standing mount for a microphone and allows microphones to be in a position in the studio without any extra force by the musician.
These are the types of mic stands available in Ghana
- Tripod Boom Microphone Stand
- Adjustable suspension boom scissor mic Stand with Pop Filter
- 19” extended mic arm stand
You need not less than 200gh to purchase a mic stand, prices may vary from store to store.
What Is A Pop Filter?
A pop filter, pop shield, or pop screen is a noise protection filter for microphones and it is typically used in a recording studio. It serves to reduce or eliminate popping sounds caused by the mechanical impact of fast-moving air on the microphone from plosives during recorded speech and singing. (Wikipedia)
How To Insert Pop Filter On A Microphone
Inserting a pop filter into a microphone comes in a simple way, but people seem to be a very difficult task. We have get you a video that will assist you when you want to fix a pop filter on your mic in the studio.
Watch the video below;
Ear Training Software
What is Ear Training?
Ear training or aural skills is a music theory study in which musicians learn to identify pitches, intervals, melody, chords, rhythms, solfege, and other basic elements of music, solely by hearing. The application of this skill is analogous to taking dictation in written/spoken language. As a process, ear training is in essence the inverse of sight-reading, the latter being analogous to reading a written text aloud without prior opportunity to review the material. Ear training is typically a component of formal musical training and is a fundamental, essential skill required in music schools. source: Wikipedia
Apart from the technical way of ear training, there is software which you can use to detect sound produced is of good quality.
These applications are available on google’s play store. We will give you the best 10 ear trainers in 2021.
Ear Training Software 2021
ear training software in 2021 is made for free whiles some are also paid for.
- Ear Master: It analyzes your performance and adapts the content of the exercise to your needs as you complete them. Find more about Ear Master here.
- Tenuto: This is an iPhone application that has 24 built-in exercises for interval ear training, chord recognition, and scale construction. Tenuto does not use an internet connection and it is also a paid-for application with just $3.99. You can download Tenuto here.
- Teoria: This is a website for both teachers and students since they help in the teaching of music. Find more about Teoria here.
- Quiz Tones EQ Ear Training ($4.99 and $14.99): a professional software app that producers, Musicians, and also Audio engineers use to train their ears and to listen to sounds more accurately. Note: it is only available for Mac and iOS devices only. Find out more on QuizTones here.
- Train Your Ears: For equalizers and frequencies. Available for both Mac and PC. It is also a paid-for worth $49. Find out more here.
- SoundGym: As the name goes soundGym, and features so many free ear training tools that work wonderfully, and give you the chance to upgrade to premium versions where you can also get extra features. It is an online application. Find more about soundGym here
- GoodEar Pro: this is also for iOs users only and you can buy as low as $3.99. Andriod users can also try ‘Perfect Ear or Complete Ear Trainer’. Buy or learn more on GoodEar Pro here.
- EarPlugins (Free)
- Perfect Ear
- Complete Ear Trainer (Free and $3.99)
Are you already a music producer or a beginner?. This article will help enlighten you with some basic things you need to have or get when setting up your own home Studio.
For the sake of beginners, we have summarized everything for your reading the practicing pleasure.